Daily Photos & Frugal Travel Tips

12 Nov

The Chapel At Versailles

The Chapel At Versailles


The chapel, the last bit of construction under Louis XIV at Versailles, was built between 1699 and 1709. It is the work of Hardouin-Mansart and Robert de Cotte and resembles the Sainte Chapelle in Paris with its Palatinate-type (two-storeyed) architecture, having both an upper chapel and a lower chapel.


This fifth chapel at the chateau is dedicated to Saint-Louis, an ancestor and patron saint of the royal family. It was consecrated on June 5, 1710 by Cardinal de Noailles. The decor, most notably the paintings, depict the link between the Old and New Testaments. The Mystery of the Holy Trinity was painted by Jouvenet, Coypel and Lafosse. The side chapels are dedicated to the patron saints of the royal family. The organ loft, with its portrayal of King David, symbolizes the moral affinity which existed between the Hebrew kings and the kings of France.


The upper chapel vestibule (or chapel drawing room), made up mostly of galleries, is level with and linked to the royal gallery and the State Apartment. It praises the king with two statues representing Glory holding a medallion of Louis XV by Vasse, and royal magnanimity by Bousseau.



Leave a Reply

© 2018 Daily Photos & Frugal Travel Tips | Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS)

GPS Reviews and news from GPS Gazettewordpress logo