Archive for August, 2009
Oronance served continuously on Gibraltar from 1704 to 1963.
This stone was placed by the Royal Army Oronance Corps to commemorate their long association with Gibraltar August 1963.
A sentry of the 25th Regiment, the King’s Own Scottish Borderers, who reinforced the Garrison in 1782 during the Great Siege. On guard across the road is a member of the 28th Gloucestershire Regiment, posted here from Minorca in November 1799.
Near here lie the remains of some of those who died from injuries at Trafalgar. Their resting place is on the site of the old Hermitage of Nuestra Senora del Rosario which is located in this area.
(Click On Photo To Enlarge)
After the end of the Great Siege in 1783 a farm at this point was given to Sergt. Major Ince, in recognition of his idea of blasting galleries to allow the defenders to fire down upon the enemy’s advanced works. Ince’s galleries helped greatly towards the successful defence of the fortress.