Daily Photos & Frugal Travel Tips

Archive for September, 2009

27 Sep

Church Of St Francis Of Assisi, Valletta, Malta

Church Of St Francis Of Assisi Facade Valletta Malta<

Church Of St Francis Of Assisi Sculpture Valletta Malta

Church Of St Francis Of Assisi Sign Valletta Malta

(Click On Photo To Enlarge)

Church Of St. Francis Of Assisi

Originally built about 1598, the church was rebuilt in 1681 through the munificence of the Italian Grand Master of the Order of St. John, Gregorio Carafa 1680-1690 whose emblem embellishes the facade.
In the 1920’s the church was extended eastward by the addition of a domed area and a shallow choir on a design of the Maltese architect, Emanuel Borg.
The church is of primary importance in the history of the Maltese architecture, as its interior was one of the first to be designed in the baroque style.
Several important paintings adorn the church, including works by the celebrated Mattia Preti 1613-1699 and Giuseppe Cali 1846-1930.
The Franciscans

26 Sep

National Museum Of Archaeology (Auberge De Provence), Valletta, Malta


The National Museum Of Archaeology is situated in the Auberge De Provence building.

Auberge De Provence National Museum Of Archaeology Valletta Malta

National Museum Of Archaeology Sign Valletta Malta

National Museum Of Archaeology Ceiling Valletta Malta

Large Ceramic Bowl Valletta Malta

Large Ceramic Bowl Sign Valletta Malta

(Click On Photo To Enlarge)

A large ceramic carinated bowl, decorated with elaborate scratched volutes. One can notice the small tunnel handles on four sides of the vessel. Three of them are made of two holes, whereas the fourth one is composed of three holes. Since one can see that the holes are too small for the vessel to be handled manually, the holes probably accommodated a rope, which aided the handling.

25 Sep

Auberge De Provence (National Museum Of Archaeology), Valletta, Malta

Auberge De Provence Valletta Malta

Auberge De Provence Sign Valletta Malta

(Click On Photo To Enlarge)

Auberge De Provence

This building erected in 1575, was occupied by the Knights Of St John from Provence who were entrusted with the defence of St John’s cavalier and its bastion. Their Chief was the Grand Commander of the Order.

© 2017 Daily Photos & Frugal Travel Tips | Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS)

GPS Reviews and news from GPS Gazettewordpress logo