Archive for September, 2011
(As per sign found at California Lighthouse)
Named for the U.S. ship California, which sank in 1908 2 years before its construction. The edifice today stands as a site for Aruba’s exhilarating brilliant sunsets and sweeping views of the western coastline beaches, sand dunes, and rocky coral shores.
(As per plaque found at California Lighthouse)
History Of California Lighthouse
Built during the years 1945, 1915 and 1916, the California Lighthouse is located at the northernmost point of the island of Aruba.
The tower of this magnificent master piece is made of stone blocks that were hewn right here and is 100 feet high. The metal top of the lighthouse, which contains the light that sets a romantic setting, is 25 feet in diameter.
Although standing on a hill called Hudishibana, the lighthouse is called California Lighthouse.
This point of the island, called California, is named after a vessel that shipwrecked at the coast near Aruba’s northernmost point. The ship “California” was traveling from Liverpool to Central America with passengers, merchandise, provisions, clothes and furniture.
Ironically, when the ship hit the coast, at midnight sharp, the passengers were partying on board. It was not until daybreak that the inhabitants of Aruba saw and understood what had happened.
The crew of the California had thrown much of their cargo overboard when the boat hit the coast. This meant that everybody was able to salvage the merchandise out of the water, and take it to Oranjestad to sell.
The restaurant you are now standing at used to be the dwellings of the lighthouse keepers.
The first lighthouse keeper was a young man from Curacao called Jacob Jacobs. He learned the profession of lighthouse keeper at a lighthouse on the islet of Klein Curacao. The last person to watch over the California Lighthouse was Federico Fingal from Aruba.
Source: National Library of Aruba
Mrs. Anna Krozendijk-De Cuba
A special thanks goes to the governments of The Netherlands and Aruba and Sun Development Company for conserving this monument.