Daily Photos & Frugal Travel Tips

29 Apr

Engineers’ Offices, Nelson’s Dockyard, English Harbour, Antigua

Engineers Offices 1 Nelsons Dockyard English Harbour Antigua

Engineers Offices 2 Nelsons Dockyard English Harbour Antigua

Engineers Offices 3 Nelsons Dockyard English Harbour Antigua

Engineers Offices Sign 1 Nelsons Dockyard English Harbour Antigua

Engineers Offices Sign 2 Nelsons Dockyard English Harbour Antigua

(as per sign)

Engineers’ Offices

With Pitch and Tar Store below

Built 1788-Restored 1954

Converted 1961

This building was planned in Aug. 1785 as a Store for Pitch Tar & Turpentine. The second and garret floors were for storing “various other articles”. In the 19th century the building was known as the Engineers’ House. There were draftsmen’s offices up stairs. In the 20th century the building has been used as a police station & as a doctor’s office and residence. In 1960 it was converted into a hotel by the Engineers Hours co. Ltd.



Leave a Reply

© 2017 Daily Photos & Frugal Travel Tips | Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS)

GPS Reviews and news from GPS Gazettewordpress logo