(as per sign)
Piazza San Marco
Designed in 1582 by Vincenzo Scamozzi to complete the vast re-organization of the Square which had begun under Sansovino in the middle of the century, this building was ultimately finished by Baldassarre Longhena in around 1640. Intended to house the apartments and offices of the city’s main administrative bodies, it would – after the fall of the Republic – become incorporated within the royal palace which during the course of the nineteenth century served Napoleonic, Habsburg and Savoyard rulers. Since 1922 it has been home to the Correr Museum and the National Archaeological Museum, visits to both of which are included in the “Museums of St. Mark’s Square” ticket.