Archive for the 'Barbados' Category
(as per pamphlet)
St. James Parish Church
Barbados, West Indies
St. James Anglican/Episcopal Church stands on the oldest piece of consecrated land on the island, often known as “God’s Acre.” The first settlers landed on February 17th, 1626 at Holetown, adjacent to the church and the settlement there increased rapidly. A place of worship was needed to be erected and by 1628 a wooden church was built on this site. It was replaced by a local coral-stone building in the early 1680’s which is substantially the one still in use.
Your interest, prayers and financial support are greatly appreciated.
(as per newspaper article)
“the original 400-pound church bell that was cast in 1696”
“Of particular interest was the church bell that predates the American Liberty Bell. The story is that the bell, with the inscription, “God bless King William” (one of the four Dutch kings who ruled England), broke from its support system in the belfry in 1880 after some 200 years of service.
It was shipped that same year to the foundry at White Chapel for repairs and returned to Barbados in 1889. White Chapel is the same foundry that manufactured London’s “Big Ben.””