Daily Photos & Frugal Travel Tips

Archive for the 'Valletta' Category

28 Oct

Chapel of the Langue of Aragon, St. John’s Co-Cathedral, Valletta, Malta

Preti Chapel of the Langue of Aragon St Johns Co Cathedral Valletta Malta

Chapel of the Langue of Aragon St Johns Co Cathedral Valletta Malta

The Chapel of the Langue of Aragon,
is dedicated to St George,
the patron saint of the Aragonese Knights.
The langue of Aragon consisted
of the Priory of Catalonia and that of Navarre.
It is one of the most magnificent and richly embellished chapels in the church.

26 Oct

St. John’s Co-Cathedral, The Chapel Of The Langue Of Germany, Valletta, Malta

St Johns Co Cathedral Chapel Langue Of Germany Altarpiece Valletta Malta

St Johns Co Cathedral Chapel Langue Of Germany Sign Valletta Malta

(Click on photo to enlarge)

The Chapel Of The Langue of Germany
Dedicated to the Epiphany

Altarpiece
The Adoration of the Magi by Stefano Erardi (1630-1716)

Lunette Paintings
On the Right:
The Massacre of the Innocents
by Stefano Erardi (1630-1716)
On the Left:
The Nativity of Christ by Stefano Erardi (1630-1716)

Paving
The main central inlaid tablet is in memory of Fra Franz Sigismund von Thun

As leader of the Fleet he dealt the enemy severe blows in many sea encounters and his bravery brought great honour to the Order. He was also Ambassador of the Order in England, Poland and Bavaria. For his bravery, he was decorated by Pope Innocent XI. He died on the 2 May 1702.

25 Oct

St. John’s Co-Cathedral, Crucifixion Group, Valletta, Malta

St Johns Co Cathedral Crucifixion Group Valletta Malta

St Johns Co Cathedral Crucifixion Group Side Valletta Malta

St Johns Co Cathedral Crucifixion Group Sign Valletta Malta

(Click On Photo To Enlarge)

The Crucifixion Group

The Crucifixion group of the Golgotha group as it is sometimes called arrived at ST John’s Co-Cathedral in 1653. It was not made specifically for St. John’s and its earlier provenance is as yet unknown. The sculptural group was the gift of Commander Fra Felicaja.

The sculptor is unknown, yet its artistic style and highly refined qualities make it very close to the work of Alessandro Algardi. Algardi was one of the leading artists of the seventeenth century receiving commissions from the Pope and his works are found in the Vatican and other important churches in Rome and throughout Italy.

The group consists of three large wooden statues, the Crucifix, the Virgin and St. John the Evangelist and are at present in the passageway that leads to the sacristy of St. John’s. Originally they were displayed in the Oratory dedicated to the Beheading of St. John and this suggests the importance this sculptural group was given by the Grand Master. The statues are rendered in white gesso and are larger than life-size. The fine chiseling and impressive plasticity in the rendition of the anatomy reveals the work of an expert hand.

© 2017 Daily Photos & Frugal Travel Tips | Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS)

GPS Reviews and news from GPS Gazettewordpress logo